Why Do Teeth Become Discolored?
All day, every day, we see models in advertisements everywhere, smiling with bright, white smiles. Perhaps, you look in the mirror and wonder what happened to your once brilliantly white teeth. Teeth discoloration happens to all of us (even toothpaste models) and there are lots of different things that can cause it.
Common Reasons Teeth Become Discolored
1. Extrinsic – These stains occur due to external factors that stain a tooth’s enamel, like smoking and consuming particular foods and drinks (wine, soda, coffee, tea, red sauces, candy, popsicles and more).
2. Intrinsic – These stains occur due to the darkening of the internal structures of the teeth, such as the dentin. Certain medications, injuries and too much fluoride in childhood can all cause the dentin to darken.
3. Genetic – Certain genetic conditions can predispose a person’s teeth to discoloration.
4. Age-Related – Everyone’s teeth become less white with time. As we age, the white enamel coatings on our teeth grow thinner, exposing the darker internal structures of our teeth.
Treatments for Discolored Teeth
The correct treatment for evening, correcting and whitening the appearance of your teeth depends on the cause of your discoloration. Usually, no special, exploratory procedure is required for diagnosing the cause of discolored teeth; a dental professional can typically determine the cause with a close visual examination of your teeth and with an evaluation of your dental history.
- Old crowns can be replaced with new crowns.
- Old amalgam fillings can also be replaced with new tooth-colored (and more effective) fillings.
- Crowns or veneers can be applied to mask internal discoloration.
- If a professional cleaning, scaling and polishing does not remove the stains on teeth, our dentist might suggest professional-strength whitening treatments, such as the KöR Teeth Whitening system.
Schedule a Whitening Evaluation with Our Office Today
If you look at old photos and wonder where your bright, white smile disappeared to, you can schedule a teeth whitening evaluation to get your dazzling grin back. Dr. Fotinos offers a variety of simple whitening treatments and a full menu of cosmetic dentistry services that will make you proud to start flashing your brilliant-white smile around again. To determine the cause and appropriate treatment for your teeth discoloration, schedule an evaluation today.